Get the best Credit Tips at Credit Visionary
The Best Christian Workplaces Institute just recently launched their 2013 listing of the very best Christian work environments in America. Is your favorite Christian ministry or company on the listing?
Churches and various other Christian ministries and companies ought to be among the very best locations to work in service to God and others, right? Right!
Except that some, regretfully, are not.
I’ve actually functioned in the church and nonprofit ministry world for over 20 years. From my individual experience, and that of pals who’ve actually worked for various other churches and ministries, I’ve actually noted first-hand that some Christian companies are definitely wonderful locations to work, while others stink. Some offer life, and the workers leave the workplace most every day with a sensation of satisfaction and happiness, and others draw the life right from everyone who works there.
What makes the difference? As John Maxwell says, everything rises and falls on leadership.
Because while a company may have a worthy Christian purpose or goal to it, that doesn’t automatically assure that its leaders are good at developing an environment or culture where it’s fun to come to work day-to-day, where employees and volunteers truly feel valued and valued, and where they can see results and understand that their job makes a real difference in the lives of others for the cause of Christ.
I don’t believe that priests or ministry leaders set out to be bad employers. It’s just that some haven’t been trained– or put in the time to find out– how to gear up and empower others for success, the best ways to really show recognition to others, and the best ways to use people without using people.
What I indicate is that some leaders are fantastic at recruiting and working with personnel and volunteers but not so terrific and setting them up for excellence, producing healthy limits for them, providing the training and devices they should do their job, revealing real gratitude, obtaining feedback, and making modifications as needed in response to ideas.
The founders of Finest Christian Workplaces Institute (BCWI) observed these problems, and in 2002 set out on an objective to help Christian employers be the best, most effective places to function in the world. It assists faith-based companies by developing processes of discovery, assisting in organizational efficiency, and motivating practices that develop healthy work environments with a Christian objective or values.
Hundreds of Christian companies in the U.S., Canada, and Australia have worked with BCWI to become certified as ‘Finest Christian Work environments.’
To gain that accreditation, each organization’s employees need to answer more than 50 questions gauging worker fulfillment in terms of organizational dedication, Christian witness, supervisory effectiveness, opportunities for individual development and development, customer/supporter satisfaction, team effort, communication, and fairness of pay and benefits.
2013 Listing of the Best Christian Work environments in America
Each year, BCWI launches reports of the Best Christian Work environments in the UNITED STATE and Canada. The listings include the top Christian camps, colleges and colleges, churches, parachurch and goal companies, and provider, based on surveys of workers that rated how well these business and companies nurtured and cared for their employees. Below is the 2013 listing of the Best Christian Workplaces in the U.S.
Camps and Conference Centers
- Camp Eagle – Rocksprings, TX
- CRISTA Camps – Seattle, WA
- Lake Ann Camp – Lake Ann, MI
- Briarcrest Christian School – Memphis, TN
- Evangelical Christian School – Cordova, TN
- Grapevine Faith Christian School – Grapevine, TX
- Heritage Christian Academy – Overland Park, KS
- King’s Schools – Seattle, WA
- Legacy Christian Academy – Frisco, TX
- Lenawee Christian School – Adrian, MI
- Seattle Urban Academy – Seattle, WA
- Wheaton Academy – Wheaton, IL
- Central Baptist Church – Sioux Falls, SD
- Crossroads Christian Church – Corona, CA
- Faithbridge Church – Springtime, TX
- Fielder Church – Arlington, TX
- The Christian and Missionary Alliance – Colorado Springs, CO
- Vineyard Church – Kansas City, MO
- Belhaven College – Jackson, MS
- Olivet Nazarene University – Bourbonnais, IL
- CRISTA Broadcasting – Seattle, WA
- InterVarsity Press – Westmont, IL
- KSBJ – Humble, TX
Parachurch and Missions
- Alabama Baptist Kid’s Houses and Family Ministries – Birmingham, AL
- American Bible Culture – New York, NY
- Apartment Life – Hurst, TX
- Christian Veterinary Goal – Seattle, WA
- Coalition for Christian Outreach – Pittsburgh, PA
- CRISTA Ministries – Seattle, WA
- English Language Institute/China – Ft. Collins, CO
- Joni and Pals – Agoura Hills, CA
- Mission India – Grand Rapids, MI
- MOPS International – Denver, CO
- Rescue Mission – Tacoma, WA
- The Navigators – Colorado Springs, CO
- Upward Unlimited – Spartanburg, SC
- World Concern – Seattle, WA
- World Harvest Goal – Jenkintown, PA
Products and Services
- Alliance Defending Liberty – Scottsdale, AZ
- Association for Biblical College (ABHE) – Orlando, FL
- CapinCrouse LLP – Greenwood, IN
- CRISTA Elder Living – Seattle, WA
- Samaritan Ministries International – Peoria, IL
Click here for the listing of Finest Christian Work environments in Canada and Best Christian Work environments in Australia.
Help Your Church or Ministry Become an Excellent Christian Workplace
If you are a church or ministry personnel individual, participant, donor or advocate, I ‘d encourage you to go to the very best Christian Workplaces Institute internet site to find out about the resources and services they offer, to help your organization become an even better place to work.
And check out Patricia Lotich’s books, Smart Church Management and Smart Volunteer Management for lots of practical tips and recommendations on how ministry leaders can equip their workers and volunteers for excellence in doing the ministry God has actually called them to do.